Skip navigation

History

  • 800, the parish of St. Remigius was formed in connection with the Carolingian royal court
  • 1000, the first official mention of Weseke is made in a census by Werden Abbey
  • 1220, a chapel is built in Burlo by the monk Siegfried
  • 1226, the town charter granted by Bishop Dietrich von Isenburg II
  • 1250, granting of hanseatic county status as a fiefdom of Dortmund
  • 1274, first official mention of the town and free county of Gemen
  • 1320, union between Coesfeld, Bocholt and Borken with Warendorf, Beckum and Ahlen
  • 1391, first mention of Borken's defensive town wall and towers
  • 1404, completion of the Church of the Holy Ghost (Heilig Geist Kirche)
  • 1418, founding of the Latin School - a forerunner of the modern day Gymnasium Remigianum (a grammar school)
  • 1576-1589, the plague takes its toll on Borken and surrounding areas
  • 1629 and 1652, the Capuchins settle in Borken in 1629 and buy the church and abbey from the Order of St. John in 1652
  • 1803, administrative seat of the principality of Salm
  • 1816, Borken becomes a Prussian county town and part of the province of Westfalen
  • 1850, completion of the road works between Borken and Raesfeld. This becomes the first such avenue in the rural district of Borken and is the first example of road tolls
  • 1880-1905, completion of railway connections to neighbouring towns in the region
  • 1880, Wanne to Borken to Winterswijk line
  • 1901, Empel to Bocholt to Borken and Borken to Burgsteinfurt lines
  • 1905, Borken to Coesfeld to Münster line
  • 1945, destruction of the town centre in WWII
  • 1957, completion of the "Hendrik de Wynen" barracks
  • 1969, local government restructuring reforms, to create larger administrative areas or "communes"
  • The fusion of the town of Gemen and other previously independent communities with the new administrative centre of Borken
  • 1975, rejuvenation and reconstruction of the southern part of the Old Town gets under way
  • 1977/1978, completion of the Vennehof Shopping Centre and the multi-story car park in the southern part of the Old Town
  • 1985, Town Council moves into the Town Hall, Im Piepershagen 17 (former  District Council offices)
  • 1987, town twinning with Whitstable (England) and Albertslund (Denmark)
  • 1996, awarding of the "The Golden Star" for town twinning by the European Commission
  • 1997 Borken goes on the net - www.borken.de
  • 1997 Town twinnings with Bolków (Poland), Grabow in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Germany) and Mölndal (Sweden)
  • 1997 Awarded the European Diploma at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
  • 1998, awarded the Flag of Honour at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
  • 2001, 775th anniversary of the town of Borken