Skip navigation


Situated in Grütlohn, is the country house of historian Jodokus Hermann Nünning (1675 – 1753), also known as Haus Wickinghoff (Vicking House). Opposite the entrance to Hof Garriß is the exquisite statue of St. John of Nepomuk, which dates from the middle of the 18th century. It is thought to have once belonged to Haus Wickinghoff.


The small, moated manor of Pröbsting, lies 3.5 km west of Borken in the town's Hoxfeld district. After the its partial collapse due to decades of neglect, the building was finally restored in 1988. The manor was first mentioned in 1221 as a Probstei manor of the city of Vreden (hence the name Pröbsting). Pröbsting Manor is the oldest,  brickwork house in Münsterland. This type of construction was introduced from the Netherlands and the Lower Rhineland. The building has a saddle roof with stepped gables. In the course of the 14th century, Pröbsting Manor became the property of the Lords of Gemen who had the right to make purchases and investments.

A stone bearing the crest of the last of the Gemen Lords of Pröbsting from 1547, refers to a part of the castle and the extension of the manor house. This crest as well as three others from 1694 and 1708, was removed during restoration and installed in the foyer of the new District Council building.

An observatory is situated in the district's highest and secluded and therefore, most suitable spot. It was opened in May 2003 and was the product of close cooperation between the Meade/ Bresser company and the Astronomy Society. It is located in an open area next to the Pröbsting School and can be accessed from the Vardingholter Street (K3).


Together with Grütlohn, Hoxfeld and Westenborken, Rhedebrügge makes up the town's West Borken district and has a total population of around 2200. The local residents are particularly proud of their 'cathedral', which is, thanks to general restoration work in 1996, an excellent example of Neogothic architecture.


Westenborken was first mentioned in 1206. Like Borkenwirthe, Grütlohn, Homer, Hoxfeld, Marbeck and Rhedebrügge, it was a farming community within the parish of Borken, which became an independent community during the middle of the 19th century.